Lord Sevele 'O Vailahi during the Press Conference. Photo/Youtube (Paula Moimoi Latu)

Lord Chief Justice Whitten has set February 14 next year for the next round of the legal clash between the government and Lord Sevele.

The ruling follows an order made earlier this year by his predecessor, Lord Chief Justice Paulsen, that Lord Sevele should have another chance to argue his case for compensation over the government’s decision to abandon the 2019 Pacific Games.

Lord Sevele has argued that when the government cancelled the Pacific Games and disbanded the Games Organising Committee, the committee agreed to pay him TP$105,869.98 severance pay.

He has argued that the Government is responsible for paying the settlement.

“In my view, this case raises an important issue and while the amended statement of claim should be struck out the justice of the case requires that the plaintiff be given a further opportunity to amend his claim,” Lord Chief Justice Paulsen said.

Lord Chief Justice Whitten made his decision after Lord Sevele filed a third amended statement of claim on the matter.

He said all documents on which either party intended to depend for the trial had to filed by November 19.

The judge said Lord Sevele had to file an outline of his submissions for trial by January 24 next year.

The government has been ordered to file an outline of its submissions for the defence by February 7.

The main points

  • Lord Chief Justice Whiitten has set February 14 next year for the next round of the legal clash between the government and Lord Sevele.
  • The ruling follows an order made earlier this year by his predecessor, Lord Chief Justice Paulsen, that Lord Sevele should have another chance to argue his case for compensation over the government’s decision to abandon the 2019 Pacific Games.

For more information

Supreme Court says Lord Sevele should have another chance in his claim against government

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here